Five facts on religion in India from Pew Research:
- India’s massive population includes not only the vast majority of the world’s Hindus, but also the second-largest group of Muslims within a single country, behind only Indonesia.
- India is a religiously pluralistic and multiethnic democracy – the largest in the world.
- Indians experience “high” levels of government restrictions on religion.
- India has high levels of religion-related social hostilities.
- Most Indians are concerned about religious tensions, but even larger shares are worried about several other national issues.
India is home to 1.4 billion people – almost one-sixth of the world’s population.
According to Pew Research, by 2050, India’s Muslim population will grow to 311 million, making it the largest Muslim population in the world.