What made Steve Jobs such a great leader? A new book examines what set Jobs and other innovative business leaders apart as innovators.
The research behind the book shows that five discovery skills distinguish the most innovative entrepreneurs from other executives.
• Questioning allows innovators to break out of the status quo and consider new possibilities.
• Through observing, innovators detect small behavioural details—in the activities of customers, suppliers, and other companies—that suggest new ways of doing things.
• In experimenting, they relentlessly try on new experiences and explore the world.
• And through networking with individuals from diverse backgrounds, they gain radically different perspectives.
• The four patterns of action together help innovators associate to cultivate new insights.
The bad news is, if you're trying to be an innovative leader without doing anything, you're in trouble.
The good news is, tomorrow is a new day.