David Olson has been keeping track of 200,000 US churches. This is what he has discovered:
- Less than 20% of Americans regularly attend church - half of what the pollsters report.
- American church attendance is steadily declining.
- Only one state (Hawaii) is growth in church attendance outpacing population growth.
- Mid-sized churches are shrinking; the smallest and largest churches are growing.
- Established churches (40 to 190 years old) are, on average, declining.
- The increase in churches is only 1/4 of what's needed to keep up with population growth.
- In 2050, the percentage of the US population attending church will be almost half of what it was in 1990.
You can read a more detailed report of his findings at the missionalchurch blog. Or read the book.