7 Startling Facts about church attendance in America:
- Less than 20% of Americans regularly attend church—half of what the pollsters report.
- American church attendance is steadily declining.
- Only one state is outpacing its population growth.
- Mid-sized churches are shrinking; the smallest and largest churches are growing.
- Established churches—40 to 190 years old—are, on average, declining.
- The increase in churches is only 1/4 of what's needed to keep up with population growth.
- In 2050, the percentage of the U.S. population attending church will be almost half of what it was in 1990.
Just to keep up with the current US population growth between 2000 and 2004, 10,000 more new churches were needed. Sounds like the US has a need for a national church planting movement.